Pedaling around Berkeley Lab? You're being healthy, clean, economical,
and having fun! But play it safe – bicycle riders are, by law, subject to the
same laws as motorists. Obey the traffic signs, speed limits, signals, and
lane markings. And don’t forget to yield
Motor-vehicle drivers: Remember to share the road with cyclists! They have as much right to the road as any car. Be careful when you open car doors, pull out of parking spaces, and make turns.
- Ride with traffic, never against
- Helmets are required when riding at Berkeley Lab
- Obey all traffic laws, including road signs, traffic signals, and speed limits (25 mph max!).
- Cyclists are required to come to a full stop at stop signs (California Law)
- Cycling with headsets or ear plugs over BOTH ears is prohibited
- Use a front light and a red reflector or flashing rear light. Use a headlamp
- Wear fluorescent or brightly
- Ride predictably and defensively!
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks
- Use hand signals when turning
- PUB-3000 Bicycle Use
- LBNL Bicycle Safety Policy
- LBNL Shuttle Bus schedule
- LBNL Bicycle Coalition
- Bikes on BART
- Biking through UC Berkeley
- UC Berkeley Parking & Transportation "Bike or Walk"
- DMV Safety Tips for Bicyclists and Motorists
- 10 Safety Tips for Cyclists