Our usual challenges with hillside terrain are worsened with rain, wind, and shorter days. Drivers may not notice you, especially in gloomy weather, so use extra caution when crossing roads – and only cross at crosswalks. Ice, leaves, and pine needles can make stairs slippery. If that's not enough, construction materials or wind-blown debris may obstruct pathways. So please play it safe – we want you to get to where you're going. Keep your eyes on the path, watch for obstacles, use handrails, and wear shoes with low heels and good-traction soles.
- Obey traffic signals
- Walk predictably and defensively. Do not jaywalk! Always use crosswalks to
cross a street
- Looking at your cell phone while walking is unsafe
- When walking at dusk or dawn, wear bright colored or reflective clothing.
- Stay alert for motorists and bicyclists. Always make eye contact with the driver to be sure he or she sees you before crossing the road.
- Use the handrail when going up and down the stairs